Harold Fuchs wrote:
Everyone, but possibly especially the user community, needs to be
reassured as far as is possible that if they commit to LibreOffice
they will be moving to a viable product and not just a flash in
the pan which will die from lack of funds in six months or a year.
For individual, private users the impact can be readily borne even
though it would be a pain in the neck to switch again in a few
months time. But for institutions, on which the success of the
project depends, it would be a fairly major catastrophe.

Hi Harold,

this is true, but be aware that TDF is still in its
inception/bootstrap phase. Expect more concrete answers when things
solidify.

But maybe there's a misunderstanding here - you should not
necessarily expect that the foundation will fund all of LibreOffice
- quite the contrary, our stated goal is to build an ecosystem of
companies, that fund people, and share some common vision on where
to move the project. And if you have *that*, any analysis will show
that this is more viable than a project that relies on a single
sponsor.

As we speak, the number of companies that fund developers working on
LibreOffice code is already larger than one. ;)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten