On 10/09/2010 03:36 AM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
Hi,

Am 09.10.2010 um 05:20 schrieb NoOp:

Like the OOo lists (and other gmane.org lists), posts via gmane.org
shouldn't also require a direct email subscription as gmane.org does
the
email verification directly before allowing a user to post to a list.
So
perhaps some added tuning with gmane.org is necessary?

of course we do require subscription for people who want to subscribe to
mailing lists. Otherwise, we'd be the victim of spam very soon.

However, there is a nomail subscription you can use by using
listname+subscribe-nomail (e.g.
discuss+subscribe-nomail@documentfoundation.org). Then you can post, but
receive no messages.

Florian

Thanks. Can a small note be added to the 'Mailing Lists' section of:
http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/
advising of the nomail option?

Regarding gmane.org & spam: last check shows that I am subscribed to 68
mailing lists via gmane.org. On occasion a spam may slip through, but
rarely. If a spam does get through it's easy enough to report to gmane.org.
  For example, your message:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss/335
could be reported as spam via the 'Report this as spam' link at the
bottom right of the page. Once the msg is reported as spam, the msg is
vetted via:
http://gmane.org/faq.php
<quote>
What happens when I click the "This is spam" button?
Your report is queued, and a gmane.org admin will later inspect your
report to see whether the message in question really does look like
spam. If the admin agrees that this is, indeed, spam, the article is
immediately removed from the web interface. At a later date, the article
is also cross-posted to the spam group, so that people using the news
interface will also be able to avoid seeing the spam.
</quote>
This prevents folks from abusing the system by reporting someone's post
as spam simply because they don't like the msg, or the poster.

Additional checkpoints are also put in place by default:
http://gmane.org/spam.php
And optional email address obfuscation & encryption is available to
prevent spam harvesters:
http://gmane.org/tmda.php

One added note: spammers can easily subscribe to any list and slip in a
spam. However in the case of email lists only, it is up to the
administrator to detect & remove the address etc. gmane.org takes a lot
of this burden off the list admin by using the tools above.

Anyway, thanks for the nomail info/option. I've unsubscribed from the
regular list & have resubscribed using the nomail address. If this post
appears (via gmane.org) we'll know it works :-)