On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Scott Furry <scott.wl.furry@gmail.com> wrot
e:
 On 06/10/10 05:00 PM, Jon Hamkins wrote:

On 10/06/2010 11:39 AM, Marc Paré wrote:

  Le 2010-10-06 14:30, Steven Shelton a écrit :

On 10/6/2010 2:21 PM, Charles Marcus wrote:

Oh - and one thing that I'd really like to see is a simple 'increment
al
updater' that just downloads a 'patch' file and patches itself, like
Firefox and Thunderbird and lots of other programs do now

I would vote for this too. It would be amazing if it were capable.

This functionality is already available in package managers, if we just
take care to use it.  yum, for example, supports delta RPMs.  The wa
this works is LibO would publish delta RPMs that contain all the
differences from the previous release, and then the users yum package
manager would download the delta RPM, build the full RPM from it, and
install.  This approach has been in use for about a year and a half by
fedora.  I'm not sure about apt-get systems -- they probably have
something similar.  It really saves on bandwidth.

     ----Jon

And I agree with Jon. +1
I've run into situations with OOo where installing/updating an extension
becomes a mess.
End result is having to clean out configurations/cache and start from
scratch. Not Fun :( Not Recommended :P

IIRC, apt-get uses a .diff file mechanism to apply patches.

What I would very much like to avoid is the situation of a repository ful
of 'abandonware'.
Having vast amounts of choice for extensions is wonderful for the communi
ty,
so long as these extensions are being actively maintained. This I think i
the problem faced by many community projects where users contribute the
extension, based on some version of the main program. As the main program
evolves, the extension suffers 'code rot' and joins a storage device full
 of
unmaintained/abandoned extensions based on a particular version of the ma
in
program. (e.g. Apple - app store, Mozilla - add-on, Netbeans, etc.)

Package Management, through dependencies, would ensure that an unsuitable
extension is not used or installed. The end user can rely on this system
help keep their install stable and secure. Just tweaking a file in a pack
age
(like being able to edit a Mozilla add-on install.rdf file to pass a basi
revision check) can't be accomplished. The extension contributor needs to
update the extension, or someone else can pickup maintaining the extensio
n.

To me its a bit of waste where every large development entity has its own
software repository based on their own update mechanisms. Someone else ha
figured out the hard parts, lets leverage their work rather than reinvent
.
Let's strive to let the users work on the operating system they've chosen
and work in a way that is consistent with that OS.

@Roman
TY. Just trying to keep the conversation lively and informed. :D

Cheers,
Scott Furry

We already have the opendesktop.org websites like kde-look.org,
gnome-apps.org, and InkscapeStuff.org.  These sites allow for users
uploading and downloading files, support nested categorization, and
have pretty powerful searching.  The sites also implement the Get Hot
New Stuff freedesktop.org API, which is specifically designed for
locating, downloading, and updating content.  Rather than re-inventing
the wheel, it may be good to at least check whether the websites can
be used for hosting the content and Get Hot New Stuff used for
downloading and updating it.

-Todd