On 2010-10-06 1:04 AM, Scott Furry wrote:
Any installation method that is deployed, in my mind, must 'respect'
the package management of the base operating system.

+1 - So, for most *nix's, this would mean that the built-in LibO updater
should be disabled, and let the systems package manager take care of it.

Problem is that Windows doesn't have a package management system.
There is no one simple way to install, update or uninstall.

Yes there is... use the MSI system, which will take care of things like
unpacking to the environments /tmp directory, launching the installer
after unpacking (like it does now), then - and here is the trickey part
I guess - detect a current installation, and offer to upgrade it, or to
install a parallel version.

I am not a programmer, but I know enough about it to know that this
wouldn't be all that difficult to do for a good programmer who has
experience writing installer scripts for the windows platform.

Yes, there is msiexec, but that just provides a means to an end and
doesn't handle update mechanisms nor framework/standardize installs.
As for update mechanisms, we're left with 3rd party programs.

The current OOo auto-update detector would be fine if the update process
itself worked as I described above.

Other than making sure that LibO cleans up after itself, how much
effort do we want to put into installers?

Since updates is one of the things that seems to confuse a lot of
people, I think it would be a good thing if this could be fixed...

Oh - and while we're on the subject, please, bring back the ability to
choose how File Associations are configured in the GUI installer - but
with the addition of the new XML versions too (so, there would be 6
checkbox/choices instead of just 3.

--

Best regards,

Charles