 Le 2010-09-30 00:50, Alexandro Colorado a écrit :

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com <mailto:marc@marcpare.com>> wrote:

     Le 2010-09-30 00:37, Sam a écrit :

        Hello Document Foundation / LibreOffice,

        I just wanted to say that I appreciate very much your efforts
        to improve upon the
        OpenOffice suite and make it more open to everyone in the form
        of LibreOffice. I
        personally spend many hours every day on OpenOffice, so this
        new initiative is very
        important to me.

        I would like to offer to the LibreOffice community a support
        forum that I have just
        created on a reliable host:
        http://libreofficeforum.org
        It is my hope that LibreOfficeForum.org will serve as a
        central point for English
        language support. I am also fluent in the Spanish language,
        and if necessary I could
        create a similar forum for that language if you would like. I
        have been administering
        community forums with Drupal for quite a few years now, and I
        feel confident that with
        the help of some additional honest, polite moderators, we
        could maintain a high level of
        organization on LibreOfficeForum.org.

        Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks again for your time
        and efforts.

        Sincerely,
        Sam

    >From what I understand:

    Keep in mind though, that the Document Foundation is waiting to
    see if Oracle will donate back the trademarked "OpenOffice" name
    to the foundation. It they do, then there would be no need for
    this is the Document Foundation would only set up shop with the
    regular OpenOffice forums that were already there.

Right, however there is no set timelimit for an Oracle response, some had said 2 months some have said at the end of the year, and some just 2 weeks. So there is really not even a consensus on how long to wait.

    This may be nice temporarily, unless the Document Foundation is
    planning to setup their official forums under the LibreOffice.org
    umbrella site. Which, at this point we don't know. All rests on
    Oracle's response to the Document Foundation request for the name
    donation.

Moving this to a central infrastructure can always be fixable by just adding a pointer from a subdomain, or phisically moving it to a different server. However from my experience not everyone likes a mailing list to communicate and you might be surprised that Forums are actually more popular than mailing list. So having a different channel specially right now, is very useful. My 2 cents.

As long as Sam is aware of this. It would be great if a forums board were organized for now. It may in fact help with organizing the mailist messages before they start getting out of hand. It would also be great if someone from the Document Foundation gave the community a green light to organize it this way until the name change is set in stone. They may have had something (such as this) in mind to help out temporarily. Apparently the usenet discussion groups have been proposed and they are just waiting for the OK from the Gmane group.

Marc