Michael Meeks and I are completely familiar with the differences in our preferences for the
licenses that we're willing to contribute under.  I fully recognize Michael's declaration.  This
reply is simply an opportunity to note that Michael's response is a great example of different
perspectives that people can arrive at and be completely clear about it.

I completely accept and support Michael's personal view.  The musing below came to mind when I saw
his response.  They are not meant in any way as a challenge.  It is simply my own stand and
entirely about what is under my own control.

 - Dennis

RELATED MUSING

I am reminded of what led me to craft, several years ago, a version of the modified BSD License for
work that I was supporting.  (Some of that work, under that license, has been part of OpenOffice
source code bodies.)

For my solo development projects, my current preference is for the Apache License (v2) because it
is more specific and it makes assertions about any patents I might happen to also have.  But I am
also happy to work on BSD- and MIT-licensed projects and contribute back under those license. (The
MPL is too complicated for my brain and I shall avoid it because it is a reciprocal license more
like the [L]GPL than BSD or ALv2.)

My intention is simple: To provide users of my code with very easy ways to know that their use of
the code is safe and there are simple requirements for keeping it that way.  The only limitation
was an attribution requirement.  Additional practices were recommended, but the enforceable
requirement was that simple.  (My favorite general copyright license is the Creative Commons
Attribute (CC-By) license.  The simple deed of that license is my absolute favorite.)

A companion consideration for me is to assure recipients of my code that it has clean provenance
and that I have demonstrated the right to license my contribution the way I do.  To the extend I
derive code from another source, I make it very clear what the derivation is and that my code's
dependence on it is both clean in compliance with conditions that apply to the dependency.  This is
also an element of scholarship that is important to me and, I suspect, it is part of the reason
that the licenses I do favor have been grouped as "Academic Licenses" by Lawrence Rosen.

This attention to provenance goes beyond what licenses say.  It is part of my commitment that
recipients can satisfy themselves that the code is safe to use and that any limitations are clear
and understandable.  (I am very careful to avoid examining or using [L]GPL source code, because I
don't want there to be any question that I have misappropriated any code under such a license.  My
handling of code provenance also supports downstream users having that assurance.)

This is all on behalf of downstream recipients and the confidence I want them to have in easily
determining permissible usage.

Under current law practically everywhere, every developer has automatic, exclusive copyright on
their own original work (when not done for hire).  The developer has (apart from some special
exceptions that do not concern us here) exclusive legal rights over specific uses of their work and
licensing of those uses to others.  So long as that is the legal foundation, those choices are ours
individually.