Hi Pedro,

Le 2012-05-19 17:49, Pedro a écrit :

A user who is already on ANY mailing list has already taken more steps than
the gross majority of the claimed "25 million users" so he/she is probably
more determined and skilled than the average curious user who is only giving
LibreOffice a try.

This I agree with.

This of course is related to the topic "LibreOffice priorities":
LibreOffice/TDF can continue to ignore the users who try and give up because
they are not worth it. You can see in AskLibO the ammount of users having
problems with 3.5.x releases and yet LibreOffice/TDF only recommends the
3.5.x branch (it takes a pretty determined person to find out that in fact
there is an older, more stable version available...)

I don't think we are ignoring and giving up on users, I think it is more a problems of effective bug reporting. If users are reporting a problem, we should be asking them for details of the problems, enter them into bugzilla and getting other users to confirm the bug, this also includes ALL of us trying to find a temporary workaround if possible till the bug is fixed.

So, instead of sitting on the sidelines and reading of the report of problems from users, those of us who are able to do so, should help the users be more specific with the problems, get them entered into the bugzilla so that they can be triaged and get more confirmations from users. This will better help the devs identify the problem and fix them in a quicker timeline.

Remember that most of our devs are volunteers and, just like the users who have joined the mailinglists (as you say "[have] already taken more steps than the gross majority ...), these volunteers have also taken more steps that the average users in offering their free time to work on the project. If we all help out, our product will be that much better.

Cor Nouws wrote

Nice idea. Since renaming the user profile cannot be done when the suite
itself is running, that should involve some external task.

Not necessarily. You could use the reload method used by many Open Source
programs (e.g. Firefox, Thunderbird, Chromium) were changes that can not be
performed while the program is loaded are followed by a message like
"ProgramX needs to reload for this change to apply. Reload now?"

I have added this to the bug, I also think this is a good idea. If this bug seems to come back regularly, then adding some function in the "preferences" will at least give help to the users who depend on this.

Cheers,
Pedro

Cheers,

Marc