On 28 November 2011 11:14, Pedro <pedlino@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm wondering if the recent offer for download of the "add supported"
limited
edition of Microsoft Office Starter is a reaction to the improving quality
and dynamics of several free Office suites (with LibreOffice leading the
pack)

Possibly Google Docs leading the pack ;-).

I use both LibO and Google Docs, but probably slightly more Google these
days.

or if this is simply a strategy of giving something for free to get
people to buy new hardware in the Spending Season?

I know it may sound absurd but since Office Starter is for Windows Vista
and
7 only, some people might consider buying the new machine (the marketing
people convinced they need) just to take advantage of this freebee :)

Thoughts?

I'd say it is probably an experiment to see what revenue could be generated
from ads, given that increasingly people expect to get software gratis and
without the hassle of license fees. That seems to me more likely to be
related to the influence of the internet than desktop apps. They need to
consider alternative revenue models to compete with Google's search and
advertising model. Google should do a version of Office based on the
OOo/LibO code base and embed ads and search links, make it available freely
and brand it Google Office.  Given their brand strength and marketing, that
would probably do more to frighten MS than anything we can do. Slightly
surprised they haven't already done it.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940