On 10/17/2011 4:58 AM, Wolf Halton wrote:
What gives
anybody the right to rag about others' correspondence style, really?

If you are doing individual emails between friends, no one really, IMO, other than your friends. And I do have a friend I've taken to task about his random method of replying to emails, especially as it pertains to our efforts to start a business.

But this is not email amongst friends. This is group of individuals trying to communicate and share information.

In any group, you have to have a set of rules everyone must follow if the group is to function successfully. It doesn't matter if the group is a car club, church group, management structure of a company, local government, examples could be almost limitless.

When folks choose not to follow those rules, the system breaks down and less gets accomplished.

Forums are a good example of this. Ever read the last message in a forum, then spend15 minutes searching for the message the last poster was replying to? Or, read a long post, and want to try to sort things in that post chronologically when some people have top posted, some have bottom posted, and others have interspersed? :-) Personally, I've got better things to do than scroll back and forth through jumbled posts and long forum threads, which is why I don't use forums on a regular basis. They waste my time.

Which is easier to search through, a filing cabinet where everything is organized by some system, or a filing cabinet where everything is just tossed in the drawer? If everyone in a group, like this newsgroup, does whatever they want, you have example two of the filing cabinet.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 7.0.1