Mark, I think my question was concrete and very clear:
"> > How about you just read the goddamn RFC's for email protocol and stop
"> > whining about it?
"> Which RFC's are you talking about?  Numbers please.

I don't see how RFC 1885 can be meant.  It says nothing about in-line,
bottom, or top.

Well, it says a little about how to do top-posting properly, depending
on how you read this part:

    - If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
      summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
      enough text of the original to give a context.  This will make
      sure readers understand when they start to read your response.
      Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
      postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
      response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving context
      helps everyone.  But do not include the entire original!

I need to do that better.

NetNews (NNTP) is not being used here at [tdf-discuss], and there are
other things that are so 1995 in RFC 1885 (which is also not an IETF
Standard, for those who like to use the "standard" word).  But that is
the extent of what it says about organizing replies to lists and news
groups. (I am more concerned about [libreoffice-users] hostility, though.)

There are other things, such as

    - Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line
      with a carriage return.

which made a lot of sense if you were using an ASCII terminal or a TTY
printer.  If someone tells me it is critical to using a brailler or
text-to-speech today, I will pay a lot more attention.

 - Dennis E. Hamilton
   tools for document interoperability,  <http://nfoWorks.org/>
   dennis.hamilton@acm.org  gsm: +1-206-779-9430  @orcmid