Hi Folks....just wanted to mention on this list....and maybe see if there is any feedback
(no problem if none)......

I run openSUSE (currently openSUSE 11.4 on my production machines) and had added the LibreOffice repository (STABLE) and have been working with that without problems.

I am fairly conservative, but also kind of like the latest stuff too as long as proven stable enough for use. Mind you, I also test the beta versions of everything on a test machine both in Windows
and in Linux so I see what's coming down the pike and to file bug reports.

Seems as if the openSUSE maintainer of the LibreOffice stable repository wants to be more conservative than me....they are still pushing version 3.3.3 (after 3.3.4 has been out for a while) and currently in UNSTABLE are still testing 3.4.2 (3.4.3 came out today)....I decided to push ahead and go "vanilla" in my Linux machines.....so I uninstalled the repository versions of 3.3.3 and installed vanilla (from The Document Foundation) version 3.4.3 today. It is running wonderfully and I am thinking of just going with vanilla versions from now on (stable branch) instead of the repository. Oh...yeah...there are a few integration issues with SUSE like some polish in the look in KDE, linking up the clipart library is automatic in the repository version (but easy to do manually after installation of the vanilla version) and maybe something that I'm not thinking about.....

But what I wanted to say is this: I am totally excited about this project and glad that it is flourishing, and am also happy to be using the latest stable version, as I can see it's already quicker...imports formats better....and even though all software has many bugs, this stuff is wonderful and very usable....

Thank-you for this wonderful project (as the OpenOffice project continues to stagnate over at the Apache
Foundation for the time being).

I just fixed a friend's computer that wouldn't boot up (a hardware issue, resolved) and replaced OpenOffice with LibreOffice 3.4.3 (good timing...came out today!) and he is happy as can be.

I just solicit one thing: Am I missing anything (other than I mentioned above) by using the vanilla versions in Linux rather than being patient and waiting for the openSUSE repository versions? If the maintainer of that repository subscribes to this list, I would be happy to listen to what is said.

Thanks for the patience in this long e-mail...

Bob Boehm

--

Operating System:  openSUSE Linux 11.4 64 bit
Linux Kernel: 2.6.37.6