Sean White wrote:
I dont thinks thats normal somehow, i have been using Adobe Reader for years
and have NEVER had it come past 200MB.

Back to discussion, what's with all the PDF hate.
Actually I don't hate PDF, I use it frequently and as such I am glad that OOo and LO have the capability of outputting in that format. My only real complaint is that Adobe has let their reader application become unnecessarily bloated, see below.

I feel that it would be shortsighted to decide at this point that ODF should never support font embedding. One never knows what the future will bring and we certainly don't know when it comes to anything to do with computers. Who of us thought 25 years ago that a computer a thousand times more powerful than any in existence and costing less than a typewriter would be warming our thighs on chilly winter mornings.

Consider this scenario, a future version of LO enhanced for collaboration, embeds fonts so that everyone on a committee who works on a business plan document uses the same font no matter what operating system they are using. That way the document looks the same whether viewed on an iPad, an Android tablet, a tower computer with a 24 inch monitor, or printed out for handout. What I take from this is that some of us would like to see a companion application with a small footprint that can properly display documents created in LO. Something that would be a small download for those who have no desire to download and install anything as large as the complete LibreOffice package. No document format should ever be so ridged that it can't change and grow with the needs and desires of computer users.

Lastly, I think that no person is ever as likely to be wrong as when he is absolutely certain that he is right.
 It serves a very good
purpose a standard, editable document that shows up exactly how you want it
WHEREVER you are and whatever OS you are using.  this has always been its
use and so it falls in a different document category to ODF.  ODF is an
office format created to compete with MSO's doc, xls an ppt formats.  to
essentially modify the underlying purpose to make it behave more like a PDF
would waste most of what we have put into it.

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

My Windows 7 C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\ folder is 181 MB.

Where do you get the 6 GB?
I simply right clicked on the folder that contains adobe reader 9 and
nothing else, the rest of the Adobe products are in a folder one level up
that also contains the reader folder, in any case when I click properties,
that is the size it lists, in fact to be more exact 6.2 gigabytes.  I did
the same with the folder containing LibreOffice, and it listed the size of
that as 475 megabytes.  So I am pretty much forced to believe it.  Perhaps
Adobe is going in the right direction again in the transition from reader 9
to reader 10, and dumping some unnecessary crap.

 What I meant by HUGE when I referred to Adobe Reader was the more than 6
Gigs of hard drive space it takes up!  By contrast all of the LibreOffice
suite of programs takes up 475 Megs of space.  That means that a mere reader
takes up more than a dozen times the space of an entire office suite.  If
that isn't mega-bloat I don't know what is.   It has been a long time, but I
seem to remember Adobe Reader only taking 12 Megs of space at one time.  It
used to come included on almost all driver disks, now it is just too big for
that.