On 17 June 2011 12:08, sophie <gautier.sophie@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Drew,
On 17/06/2011 13:34, drew wrote:
[...]

 People in other countries are capable of directing their own affairs, I
would think.

Yes, and as we have seen with OOo, it works really well.

  Unless you are thinking of creating franchises, is that
your goal?

The idea, I think, come from me a quite long time ago. It's no creating
franchise, but signing a partnership with those who makes money with our
name, marks, whatever. I found it fair to reverse a small part of the
benefices based on our work to the project. It would also prevent some abuse
we have seen by the past, at least in France.
I didn't work yet on it by lack of feedback any time I spoke about it. I
don't want to be alone to push that, but still I have it in mind and my
notes somewhere in the pile. Is it more clear (even if it's not detailed at
all for the moment)?

I have proposed something similar on and off for perhaps 8 years :-)

As a specific example. We earn money from certification but not yet for any
specific products. If a certificate has an OOo logo on it we pay something
to Apache OOo project or a financial legal entity acting on its behalf. If a
certificate has a LibO logo same thing can be arranged. Not only does this
contribute funds, it gets the brand more highly visible and trains users.

Moodle works like this successfully in the education space using more
general support companies. The companies authorised to use the Moodle brand
and trademark for services pay back some of their earnings to Moodle HQ.
Moodle HQ can stay lean and focused on developing the product, others have
scope for business models that are sustainable and so the whole ecosystem
benefits.

Key things are to choose partners that understand the products, are
professionally qualified and experienced and have the infrastructure to
deliver without any bad effects. For that you need some sort of quality
assurance statement spelling out basic terms and conditions.
--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.