Op 9-6-2011 16:32, Simon Phipps schreef:
On 9 Jun 2011, at 12:12, Simon Brouwer wrote:

Hi Jim, all,

Jim Jagielski schreef:
On Jun 8, 2011, at 5:53 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:

On 8 Jun 2011, at 23:49, Jim Jagielski wrote:

On Jun 8, 2011, at 5:07 PM, Simon Brouwer wrote:

Op 6-6-2011 11:37, toki schreef:

On 05/06/2011 15:00, Jim Jagielski wrote:

A formal, legal foundation. The ASF is a recognized 501(c)3, non-
TDF might not have 501(c)(3) status, but then consider that it is
incorporated in Germany, not the United States.
That 501(c)(3) status aside, is TDF actually a legally established
foundation (yet)?
I also think that 'independent' is also an adjective that belongs
there... being independent is quite important to a number
of FOSS ecosystem people...
While that is clearly a true statement, you seem to be implying that you
don't think TDF is "independent".  Please can you explain what you mean?
People may just be curious about TDF being "backed" by“Freies Office
Deutschland
e.V.” as well as an associated project in Software in the Public Interest
(SPI).
What does being "backed" by them mean? How independent is it from these
2 entitied? Just questions like that.

Certainly being an independent, legally established foundation is
critical, isn't it, as compare to one which is "just" a legally
established one?
But is it even "just" a legally established foundation? AFAIK, TDF unto
this day does not exist as a legal entity.
While that's pedantically
thank you...
correct, TDF appears to currently be an initiative of a perfectly adequate non-profit legal entity
and as such I have no problems with its existence or independence.
I have no problems with its existence or independence either.

Anyway, I think it is high time that TDF be made a foundation proper. Suppose Oracle had considered donating the OpenOffice.org trademarks and copyrights to TDF. How could it be the recipient of such a donation if it didn't exist as a legal entity?

--
Vriendelijke groet,
Simon Brouwer.

| http://nl.openoffice.org | http://www.opentaal.org |