On 6/7/11 1:50 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

Thx for the clarification... BTW, it also mentions
        "integration with Oracle ERP and CRM stacks"
Did you really want (and expect) direct access to such incredibly
sensitive and important parts of Oracle's business structure?
How does that help the "community"? It seems much more something
a competing business would want.

The sentence is: "This is why we welcome a technical cooperation with Oracle on the development and maintenance of connectors with the Oracle and MySQL databases as well as the integration with Oracle ERP and CRM stacks".

Technical cooperation is quite a different thing from direct access. Microsoft third parties have developed a wealth of these connectors and integration features with Oracle products, which are in the interest of Oracle as well as the end user.

These integration features were supposed to be part of the proprietary product Oracle Open Office, but have only been hinted on the product sales pitch and never provided by Oracle.

Although I am not a developer, I imagine that in order to develop their plugins MS third parties have used some kind of APIs or SDK in order to get access to pieces of information inside Oracle database or CRM data files.

Anyway, if there was something to be clarified about our document, a short email or a phone call asking for further details - instead of a prolonged "we are still working on it" answer - would have been a better choice.

I do not think that going over our letter to Oracle with the intent of finding areas where it could have been improved does any good to the exhisting and future relationships.

Oracle received this letter in late April and has never reacted, while it looks that in a week has decided for the ASF solution. Fair enough. It is rather evident that there are reasons beyond our understanding, which are part of Oracle corporate perception of TDF.

Best regards.

--
Italo Vignoli
italo.vignoli@gmail.com