<snip>

I use LibO for writing, and produce ebooks from the output.

There are many ebook formats, as has already been pointed out by others, the main two being mobi
(Kindle) and epub (almost every other e-reader).  I am active in a forum on ebooks, called
mobileread.com.  I think I can say that the majority of writers there use one of two methods for
creating ebooks.  Either they use a service called Smashwords, which takes MS Word documents and
produces about six different kinds of ebooks, including pdf, txt, rtf, which most people don't
count as ebook formats.  Or they use a program called Calibre, which has its support forum on
mobileread.com, and which takes odt files as its preferred input.  These two methods I would call
the professional approach.

On the other hand, someone interested in converting some of their documents to ebook (read epub)
format for storage and use on their e-reader can make use of an extension which has been available
for some time for OOo.  I can't remember how good this is, since it's a long time since I used it,
but I think it produces acceptable quality for what we can call the non-professional approach.

My take on this suggestion is that LibO does what it does well.  Production of epub documents is a
marginal requirement, which does not need to be addressed with a built-in function.  Professionals
won't use it, and non-professionals are adequately served by the extension I mentioned - I believe
there are now several btw.

So the bottom line is that I vote against incorporating epub production into LibO Writer.

Just my 2c

//James