On 6 April 2011 12:54, aqualung <xfekdcugjrkz@mailinator.com> wrote:

Ian Lynch wrote:

On 6 April 2011 04:41, aqualung &lt;xfekdcugjrkz@mailinator.com&gt;
wrote:

Well, how many full-time developers, working 40-hour workweeks, does
Microsoft Office have... and how many OOo and LibO?

If the answer for MO is, say, 300... and the full-time equivalent for
OOo
/
LibO is 50... then it's pretty much a given that MO will always have a
bigger feature set and be more bug-free than OOo / LibO.  This is a
no-brainer!

Probably broadly true but not quite so cut and dried.  it will depend on
competitive pressure, culture urgency, ownership and a range of other
factors. If it was only about quantity of resource input there would
never
be any change.

Ian

Well of course, Ian, "other things being equal". Competitive pressure?
Microsoft should be fat and lazy by now, but if Steve Ballmer catches you
loafing he will kick your @$$ sky-high. Culture urgency, what is that?

Culture, urgency - missed a comma. We used to deal with MS a few years ago.
Their attitude was awful because they thought they were the only option.
Take it or leave it. That did change and probably has changed more as
competitive pressure continues to build. Most large corporates, will have a
lot of applicants for jobs especially in the current climate but that
doesn't stop them being role dominated cultures with all the downsides of
that. Take ARM, rather smaller than Intel but their processor designs are
outselling x86. What made them successful was famously quoted as having no
money and no people ;-)

To be honest I'm not too bothered whether the world and his dog wants to use
LO or MS Office. I now have a choice and my next Linux download will have LO
with it not MSO. We don't use MS products at all here except to test the web
site development and we don't use desktop office products that much and I'd
say ability to migrate to the web and/or mobile technologies is more a
serious consideration at this point in time than obscure features and bugs.

--
Ian

Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications
The Schools ITQ