On 2011-03-22 12:35, Italo Vignoli wrote:
On 03/21/2011 11:44 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:

As pointed out, it may not be possible to package fonts in the document
file because of the Open Document standard, although I would have though
it would have been flexible enough to enable packaging of future items,
otherwise it would be limiting to development and future inclusion of
say media or as of yet unpopularised formats.

Fonts used for editing documents must be installed at operating system
level (Windows, MacOS, Linux) and therefore they would not be
available even if embedded in documents. In addition fonts have
different metrics on different operating systems.
This must be why I had to delete Arial from my mac and replace it with
Arial from my Suse.

What about with OOO2 where fonts were available for OOO exclusively
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Font-FAQ#How_do_I_add_fonts_to_OpenOffice.org_2_exclusively

Fonts were installed in ~/.openoffice.org2/user/fonts/
So I was assuming that a font packaged in an odt file would be placed
somewhere similar on opening the odt file and then available exclusively
to LO when editing the document. This is where I used to place my custom
fonts and doesn't require admin access for font installation.

This is the reason why fonts have never been embedded in any document
format for editing (not even in old Microsoft proprietary formats,
even if they were a memory dump), because if they are not installed
there is no chance of having them available for editing.

Font embedding in PDF is a completely different story. PDF is a
document description format based on PostScript, and thus the engine
in the software can use the embedded fonts to render them on screen
thanks to the code developed by John Warnock (a genius developer, the
inventor of PostScript and one of the founders of Adobe).

This feature was introduced in PDF 2.0, because the first version was
using Minion and Myriad, specific fonts with real time variable
metrics which had to be installed at system level in order to mimic
the fonts used to produce the document.

I was working as a consultant for Adobe at that time, and I have been
the PDF spokeperson for Europe for several years.

It is true that many years have gone by, but fonts are handled by
operating systems in the same way. If they are not installed in their
specific folder at boot time, they cannot be used for editing documents.

I hope this helps.