On 22/03/11 06:44, aqualung wrote:
O.K., so is everyone now in agreement that there is no legal problem
embedding a font that explicitly licenses itself to be embedded?

I am new here and am a bit mystified at the way discussion seems to move,
with inapposite answers to comments and then the point gets lost along the
way.

This  https://www.adobe.com/type/browser/info/embedding.html Adobe page
lists the four levels of permissions granted (or not, as the case may be) by
a font's license. (However, according to
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/634966?decorator=print&displayFullThread=true
this forum discussion , "installable embedding" is only a theoretical, not a
practical option for lack of any software that actually performs this.

Legal matters aside, I like the idea of an online font repository and
downloading from there as needed.

This seemed good to me at first, but then I thought "how do I make my
custom fonts and especially purchased fonts portable with my documents".
I am talking about me being able to edit my documents on my machines
without having to coordinate font libraries across Suse/OSX/Win. In a
business I could just flick the document to a secretary for printing and
not have to go to her machine and install the fonts required.
Without the font being packaged in the document the only solution would
then be to post them on line, encouraging  breaking the license terms,
unless I had a personal online font repository.
But then again the on-line solution has the problem of editing a
document offline (on the train on my laptop).

I am suggesting that packaging the font with the document be optional,
only for fonts where there is not a universal substitute, so that fonts
do not need to be packaged with every document and bloat the system.

As pointed out, it may not be possible to package fonts in the document
file because of the Open Document standard, although I would have though
it would have been flexible enough to enable packaging of future items,
otherwise it would be limiting to development and future inclusion of
say media or as of yet unpopularised formats.

Impress (from LO) doesn't seem to package media(audio/visual) and be
able to save as powerpoint,  but Impress (from OO) packages media within
the file in a media folder and is able to save as powerpoint. May be
fonts can be classed media and packaged in the media folder. Is the
presence of the media folder standards compliant.

steve