On 12 February 2011 19:04, Robert Derman <robert.derman@pressenter.com>wrote:

Kevin Hunter wrote:

On 2011-02-11 3:35 PM, Kevin Hunter wrote:

How the quickstarter works is have use gobs of memory effectively
sitting idle. That doesn't work. Many of us in the computing,
engineering, physics, and chemical fields *use* our computational
resources.

75MB is not 'gobs' - that or we live in very different realities.

Yes, it is gobs.  If you have 4GB+, perhaps it's not, but not everyone has
4GB+.  Particularly in non-Western countries.  I have just returned from
Ethiopia, for example, where owning a computer is rare; for those who do,
256 MB is common.  I suspect that we *do* live in different realities.

 RAM is extremely cheap these days.

If $100 bucks is cheap to you, then so be it.  It's not to me, a graduate
student.

Just so you all know, 4 GB of DDR3 RAM can now be purchased for $36. on the
internet.

Yes, but for people in some places you would have to use older more
expensive RAM or the machine can't be upgraded so they would have to buy
another, etc etc.

In historical terms, that is indeed dirt cheap.

But in historical terms the majority of people in the world haven't been
able to access computer technology. That changes as prices fall and probably
for every $10 fall another million can enter the market. So even small
changes can have a significant effect on large numbers of people.

Also a 500 GB hard drive can now be purchased for less than $40., and a DVD
burner for less than $20.  The fact is, a copy of MS Office can well cost
more than the entire computer system it is used on.

Not if it gets illegally copied. ;-) PS, hard drive space is likely to be
less of an issue than RAM.

Ian

Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications
The Schools ITQ