On 01/01/11 18:46, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
My apologies for the mis understanding there Lee. I think the problem we
would run into is 2 different schools of thought on how the same goal should
be achieved.

Possibly, but then that is the nature of collaboration is it not? In any
case, both projects share something in common, and that is
crowd-sourcing. Thus both would presumably benefit from merging those
'crowds' together.

What I would suggest is pursuing my first idea as a starter (assuming
the wiktionary people are amenable at all to it)

1) Define a HTML standard which would allow the scraping of wiktionary
  articles for spellings, alternatives and localised spellings,
  definitions, etymological information, synonyms and antonyms.

It could be as simple as adding custom tags (i.e. <alt-spelling>,
<loc-spelling lang="fr-FR>, <antonym>, <synonym>, etc...) to wiktionary
articles. If implemented properly this provide the grounds for dicollect
(and other similar projects) to scrap wiktionary for alternative and
localised spellings, antonyms, synonyms and alike.

In any case, I suspect this would represent a large undertaking.
Especially if such a collaboration went beyond the above suggestion into
other territories involving language. Which is why I suggested starting
up a separate (from LibO) language standardisation project under the
broader banner of The Document Foundation.

Kind Regards

Lee Hyde

--
"I foresee a universal information system (UIS), which will give
everyone access at any given moment to the contents of any book that has

        -- Andrei Sakharov, Saturday Review/World (August 24th, 1984)