Le 2010-12-07 13:12, Christophe Strobbe a écrit :
Hi,

At 18:50 7/12/2010, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
Rainer Bielefeld schrieb:
> [...] but switch from Sxxx.exe to Lxxx.exe (LWRITER.EXEm ...)

But if that might cause any trouble (for example Extensions
referencing to current names of .exe files) I would leave all as it is.

I agree. I am involved in the development of three OpenOffice.org
extensions: odt2daisy, odt2braille and a third one that will be released
in early 2011. odt2daisy and odt2braille (both available on SourceForge)
currently work with LibreOffice and I would like to preserve compatibility.

With regard to the original question: are there any surveys or data that
confirm that the names for Writer, Calc and Impress need to be improved?
(I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case for Impress; I don't see
a problem for the others.)

Best regards,

Christophe

I don't believe that any of this has been discussed as the SC and most communities see the move from OpenOffice to LibreOffice as a natural outcome of moving to a "foundation" organisation. We had originally wanted to have the use of the "OpenOffice" name.

I can tell you from personal experience, over many years, with using OpenOffice in the classroom and with students at home, "Writer" and "Calc" are easily recognisable; "Impress" is not.

We should perhaps consider that Oracle has decided to go on with OpenOffice and is using the "Writer", "Calc" and "Impress" names. Will people associate these names more with OpenOffice? Do these names conjure up the image of OOo? I would suspect yes. I can already imagine that people will be asking me if I am talking about OpenOffice or LibreOffice (when I use the module names)?

We could also see this as somewhat of a standoff, do we own the moral or even legal rights to use the "Writer", "Calc" and "Impress" names or does OpenOffice?

If we are to change, the names should be very descriptive and concise. And, as Christophe points out, the compatibility of extensions will have to be considered.

Maybe now is not the time to change names? We could better plan for a later release if we do?

Just my thoughts.

Marc