On Tue, 02 Nov 2010, Peter Rodwell wrote:

I answered a posting from Ernst W. Winter:

Yes sounds good. How did the city of Munich change 14,000 PC to
OOo?

with a somewhat cursory "I don't know" but the question piqued my
interest.  A few minutes' Googling came up with the answer: It
didn't.

Reports (e.g., at
http://blog.worldlabel.com/2009/limux-where-the-munich-linux-revolution-is-today.html)
show that only 80% of the city's 14,000 PCs will have been changed
to open source by 2012 - that's EIGHT YEARS after the project was
given the green light.

Yes I know of it from the original German at Heise Online. It
mentions also that many others have changed and are in the process of
changing including the Federal Government.

To be fair, Oo was only a small part of the changeover, which

correct, the  reason was also:

Schießl explains that free software certainly "Does not mean free as
in free beer." Instead, open source offers programmers the advantage
of improving the software and expanding additional applications
without having to get permission from a specific company. This
advantage also carries weight with other municipal governments. That
is why the cities of Mannheim, Schwäbisch Hall and Treuchtlingen in
Bavaria are moving at least partially to free software.

involved an upfront cost of ?13 million for LiMux, a special
version of Linux. The council says that's ?2 million MORE than it
would have cost to upgrade from Windows NT4 to XP, but their point
wasn't short-term financial saving -- they were more concerned
about being tied to a single supplier.

I do know many that have changed the "OS" including Security
companies and if you look closer here in Eurpe Governments even pay
for Open Source developement.

I have been involved in the 90'ies with many changes of OS away from
M$ and there are companies that state openly that they have already
gone away from M$ and still have a small portion of that software.
They are only waiting that they can replace that too. What are
Corporations going to do if even Governments moving away from M$? Or
even IBM are supporting Linux.

While a city council can apparently afford to spend this time and
taxpayer's money changing to open source, no corporate CFO would
even consider it.

Yes this sounds maybe silly, but then they don't have a noose around
their neck with being tied to a company and can develope what they
need for their own ends. OOo might have been a help and a step in
making that move.

Maybe I haven't explained myself as I got too exited to hear that the
OOo is having a new start after Oracle took over Sun, you can see
what happen when such companies take over. I believe in OpenSource
and can see what happen, even if Corporations don't or can't see
that. For me and others OpenSource has done more and achieved more
then any Corporation. I still see it as THE future.

Using Freebsd with some 20,00 apps and I can run Linux Binaries as
well have a Virtualbox to run WIN as well having zfs filesytem, what
could a Corporation want more to be independent?

Sorr again, I just got carried away I will restrain myself. But I
cross my fingers, wish good luck and all success to the developers of
the new Offic Suite. I have pointed many friends in that direction
adn business to what I know of. Keep up the good work you guys ...

--
"FreeBSD pioneers - every day a new installation"
Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?