Hi Christoph,

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Christoph Noack
<christoph@dogmatux.com> wrote:
Hi Ivan,

thanks for the cleanup! And ...

Thank you for the valuable constructive feedback!

[...]
And a bit more specific:

     * LibreOffice Banner:
             * Nice refinement, especially the slight emboss effect for
               the logo works great. Also the different shaped gradient
               works very well ...

I was inspired by your Impress template where you had a lighter
gradient. Although gradients will probably never go out of fashion,
the inner shadow is a more contemporary design effect, just as gloss
was trendy in the mid 2000s. I think it's a useful effect to give the
LibreOffice logo a more modern feel. It also gives a greater sense of
depth and sophistication to an otherwise simple gradient.

             * I am only unsure whether the homogeneous background
               pattern is still able to "repeat" the document icon
               triangle idea. (It still reminds me of the stylish
               elevator in "You Only Live Twice".).

You're probably right. I was trying to experiment by using the pattern
as a texture and it is a bit too repetitive - I thought a subtle
gradient could ameliorate that, but I'm not sure if it works. I like
what you did in the presentation template - just having a few
repetitions in a triangular arrangement at the top-right and
bottom-left edges - that might be a better solution.

             * However, I really this style - should this be the basis
               for the final LibO branding? (Without having any
               deadlines in mind).

I worked with the assumption that the initial LibO branding elements
(namely the document foundation symbol and the green color) are fixed
and aren't open to change.

The document foundation icon is fantastic because it can be applied
straight away to icons. Although the OOo gulls are a great branding
element, they are an abstraction that is more difficult to translate
to icons. That said, maybe LibreOffice could do with a secondary
branding element which is more organic (i.e. inspired by nature) as
opposed to the document segment (I'm thinking of branding
material/motifs for start centre/about screen etc)

     * Icons: Just a question - is the lighter region intended?
       Personally, it irritates me a bit (it is hard for my brain to
       come up with the 3D equivalent). To me, the first draft "felt" a
       bit better (except the slight gradient in the invers-S-element
       in the Draw icon).

Yes, it is intended. It's just a little optional extra I was playing
with. The gradients themselves could be made more subtle (this would,
of course, require the colors to change).

     * Colors: Blue, green are great. For the orange, yellow and purple
       color, the lightest shadings seem to be different from its base
       color (e.g. the lightest orange looks a green on my computer).
       I'm sure you already invested some time, so this is intended,
       or? So, how to proceed? May we start to iterate the current LibO
       colors? Or do you think it might be helpful to further work on
       your file? At your service, so to say ;-)

That was the intention for all colors, but again, it's something I was
trying out. I think the lighter ('accent') colors add some zest to the
icons (and that includes the greenish yellow), but I haven't had the
time to try an extensive array of options myself. Anyone else is more
than welcome to suggest alternatives.

This icon design is very simple - the outline uses the first two
colors, and the inner part uses the last two colors, so it's a good
test of the color scheme. Again, I have worked with assumptions that
the general colors themselves are fixed (broadly speaking, blue for
Writer, green for Calc...). I think it's important to make these
assumptions explicit since I am not sure exactly what is already set
and what is open to debate. Plus, I find it easier to work with some
pre-defined constraints :)

Regards,
Ivan.