Le 2010-10-18 04:16, Cedric Bosdonnat a écrit :
Hi Alexandro,

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 23:10 -0500, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
I am very positive about making improvements on things like Writer, however
I don't know many people use the bibliographic features.  On the opposite I
know about many things that many users used, that could be fixed straight
away and improve the usability on many users.

IMHO there could be small wins here that would help a lot of people to
join us (or at least use LibreOffice when they weren't using OOo).

Things like being able to change the orientation of an OOo page, without
needing to do so many clicks and changing styles and so forth.
Sure, We need some nice UI ideas here. The coding shouldn't be too
complex as we already have the page styles. ...

One way to do it easily would be through a "macro" command that would insert two page breaks with style change and rotate the page in between.

Other features needed in Writer:
- Less predefined styles. Ideally, I would prefer to have all functions such as heading level, numbering... , but without the actual style sheets defined. InDesign is fairly good in that regard. At the very least, the numerous Bullets and Number styles (ex.: Bullet 1, bullet 1 beginning, bullet 1 end, bullet 1 next...) This is especially so considering that there also are a separate set of styles for bullets. - Perfect image and spreadsheet insertion in Writer. Right now, it's impossible to do it perfectly when things are transferred in a vectorial format. Amongst other problems, if one inserts a drawing and shrinks it at 50%, fonts are not shrinked (Windows XP and Windows 7). - "Insert File" should work with standard and Office formats. I.e. one should be able to insert an odt drawing or an ods spreadsheet.

In Calc, my wish list includes:
- Some way to make equation-writing easier when, for example, complex fractions and trigonometry are involved. Ideally, integrating Math-style equation writing into Calc would help with those crazy equations that I have in engineering.

In Impress
- A series of default effects that would be easy to pre-configure
- A timeline of effects that would be similar to the "advanced chronology" of MsOffice 2003, but even better. Quite frankly, I find effects even harder to do than in MsOffice 2003. Having a group of lines appearing successively by appearing from the left (normal reading direction) should not require three steps as in MsOffice or 5 steps as in OpenOffice.

LONG TERM WISH LIST

Finally, a long term wish list would be complete integration of most modules at the document level. In other words, if I make a long report, I would:
- Create a text document in a way similar to what is done with Writer.
- When I come to tables, I would create a table as I currently do and I will be able to use all character, paragraph and style functions that are in Writer. But I would also be able to use all Calc functions (equations, formatting, etc.), sort either by line or column... exactly as if I had created a Calc sheet. - Similar behaviour for graphics. There is no need for the very limited graphic abilities of Writer (or Calc) because we would define a graphic zone and in that zone, all Draw functions would work as if I had created a drawing in Draw. - All these "parts" would be saved in the same Writer document because after all, they are all part of the same report; yet, I would still be able to fully edit all parts of the document from within the same file.

Similar behaviour would be expected from other modules. For example, if I do a major spreadsheet , I should be able to use the word processor in a cell or in a group of cells. Likewise, Impress would often benefit from paragraph styles as defined in Writer and full-fledge spreadsheets.

--
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada) -- http://mgagnon.net