On 2010-10-15 9:58 AM, James Wilde wrote:
On Oct 15, 2010, at 13:43 , Charles Marcus wrote:
Doesn't it make more sense just to modify the Reply-To header (to
both the list and the OP) and let the mail client just do the right
thing?

You mean automatically, or in the copy of the message that comes to
the moderators? I didn't think that any changes one made to this
would percolate through to the message subsequently posted to the
list, but I'm willing to try.

Yes, automatically... if the list software cannot do it natively, then
someone could write a custom handler (at least in mailman you can do
this, if exmlm can't then thats another reason to change) that would
accept posts from non-members, but with some extra processing where it
modified the Reply-To headers.
The reason allowing non-members to post is a problem (endless questions
and explanations) is *because* these messages are currently handled
manually.

Sorry, but I see it differently:

You say that, but then everything that follows appears to be in
agreement with me, so I'm confused as to 'what' you 'see differently'...

While you seem to think of the best way the user get the information
asked for, this is not the main reason for a users mailing list.

Nope... that question has nothing to do with the topic (of allowing
posts from non-subscribers).

I'm probably not the only community member starting his "OOo career"
with a question on the users list.

It's one of the main possibilities to find non-coding community
members (besides documentation).

I'd rather propose to state clearly on the website the different ways
for getting user support:

- People hesitant to subscribe to the mailing list should ask their
questions on the forum.

If someone is hesitant to subscribe to an email list, aren't they also
likely to be hesitant to register for a users forum?

- If users want to ask their question on the mailing list, they should
subscribe IMHO and find out how our community works.

With the information by the moderators they will have the chance to get
all the replies from the archive or subscribe and perhaps become a
community member.

I don't want the "OP is not subscribed. Please CC him" mails on this
mailing list and the discussions about the necessity for them.

Nor do I. My suggestion for simply modifying the Reply-To headers would
give a semblance of the best of both worlds. It wouldn't always work
perfectly of course (some mail clients don't respect t Reply-To headers,
as do some list participants), but it would dramatically cut down on all
the noise.

That said - you seem to think I am an advocate of allowing
non-subscribers to post - I am not, I am against it. My suggestion to
modify the Reply-To headers was made with the assumption that this
policy was going to continue. Also, I didn't cover every base - there
should be some really good anti-spam software in front of the list
server (ASSP would be an excellent choice) to (all but) eliminate spam
posts...

Who ever wants to CC him can do so, but without bothering others.

Apparently you *are* in favor of allowing non-subs to post, so my
suggestion should be something you'd be in favor of.

Helping users with their questions is just one task of our mailing
lists. Involving them with the community is another - in my eyes at
least equal important!

No argument from me, so again, I'm not quite sure what you are
disagreeing with me about...

--

Best regards,

Charles