Hi Friedrich,

On Oct 13, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:

Hi Benjamin, *,

Benjamin Horst schrieb:

This is exactly why I suggested we look at multiple wiki engines
before installing one and proceeding. ACL features of Foswiki make it
easy to specify a separate set of pages or an individual page, and
control who has edit access, view access, or no visibility of the
page at all.

Details:
http://foswiki.org/System/AccessControl

As far as I know there is some mechanism wikis can talk and exchange
content. Do You know of that feature?

They can generally import pages from other wiki engines, and convert to their own syntax. I think
that's what you are referring to? If so, here is one example tool:
http://foswiki.org/Extensions/MediaWikiToFoswikiContrib

I think changing the wiki machine later on if this comes up to be useful
will not be that big deal. For the moment I think mediawiki is a good
joice because

- people are used to work with
- its already set up and in use
- there already technical knowledge is present to drive it

waiting a long time with hands prepared to work also can be frustrating.

All of these are good points. The case for MediaWiki is solid--I just feel that we might be able to
do even better. :)

In fact, based on a comment by Bernhard in another thread, I'm now thinking about the merits of
combining the main website with the wiki into one system managed by a CMS. This would be more
friendly to end users--and could be managed by a sophisticated system like Drupal. I'm imagining
the potential of its ad hoc group creation tools for managing regional LibreOffice projects,
marketing, events, etc, along the lines of this site: http://groups.drupal.org/

(I'm sorry to have hijacked this thread--will continue on the website mailing list for those who'd
like to follow along.)

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
bhorst@mac.com