[steering-discuss] Re: LibreOffice TSC call, Thur May 12th - 15:00 UTC...

Le 16/05/11 19:31, Bjoern Michaelsen a écrit :

Hi Bjoern,

Looking at the bug shows:
- It did not only happen with Ubuntus build.
- It did not only happen on Ubuntu.
- It does not happen in Libreoffice 3.3.2 on Natty even for people
  reporting it before. 3.3.2 on Natty is the first official release.
- Nobody could provide any hint on how to repoduce or even provoke the
  bug.

When I said old, I meant "Happened to the firm I was in 5 or 6 years
ago" so I'm not targeting Ubuntu specifically ;-) And, to answer
Michael, we did have a support contract at the time via an external
consulting company, but nonetheless the issue could not be resolved. It
went away with a LTS upgrade !!

=> The bug could be very well triggered by some bug or misconfiguration
outside of LibreOffice and thus be not reproducable at all on developer
machines. Allocating developer resources under these circumstances
on such an untriaged Heisenbug is pure waste of time. It needs way more
triage by people seeing the bug.

The problem is how to get people to signal things like that. Something
that affects a pool of users reported by only one person, say on the
Ubuntu bug reporting system, will on the whole only be considered as a
single person bug report...

And I'll not waffle on any longer in this thread :-)

Alex