Hello all archivists!

(I appologize for any dups, there where issues while sending)

This is going out on a broad scale to the last known admin contact address of sites we are, or in
the past have been, using as sources (and a few that did it the other way around and used us as a
source) for things we mirror(ed) on ftp.sunet.se.  This include things where we are not actively
mirroring new content but the old is still intact, so some of you may not have a clue of what I am
talking about while others may be surprised we're not long dead and gone :-)

Either way, this is an attempt to catch at least most of the ones who DO know of the mirror at our
site in order to inform you that it is going to end, not too long in the future.  Some of them have
been "just working" without human interaction for ages, so if you know of a more appropriate
contact please let us know.

To the story;

After 20 years (although I've only been with it for the last 14) the end is near!

It has been decided to decommision the ftp.sunet.se (also known as archive.sunet.se in the last
half decade of so) with the process starting in September.  It will be a rather slow process,
starting with mirrors where we know it exits good alternativs, giving the other ones a bit more
time to find a new home if needed (let us know).  If you think we should simply drop your mirrored
files right away please let us know.  If we are the only home for you and you absolutely can not
find an other then do the same and we will try to keep them as long as possible.

Especially Linux (and perhaps BSD too?) distributions and services that provides our host as an
alternative during network installations or updates etc should remove it in order to minimize the
risk of end users getting caught with a bad state.

Finally I would like to take the opportunity to thank you all for the time past, and wich you all
the best for the future!

Yours sincerely,

Emil Pedersen
archive@ftp.sunet.se