Hi Keith,

On 18/04/18 18:39, Keith Curtis wrote:
1. Have you thought about creating a plugin for realtime collaboration
without running in a browser ?

        Yes. Checkout eg.

https://people.gnome.org/~michael/blog/2012-03-26-collaboration.html

        In a nutshell - I for one abandoned this approach: it is hard - far
harder than the existing Online design - to the point that having a fake
shell using tiling (etc.) that looks like LibreOffice but is really
something like a browser to a single nominated end-point which is an
Online instance: non-symmetric but far easier is an approach I'd suggest.

I'd love to be able to hand out
LibreOffice invites to other people to work on shared documents, or
even connecting to a Google server, but continuing to do all my work
inside my beloved LibreOffice. I see LibreOffice allows you to connect
to Google docs, but I don't think it enables real-time collaboration
or the chatbox.

        Wouldn't we all =) firewalls aside, the coding problem of keeping
multiple models in-sync asynchronously and resolving conflicts is
roughly O(n^2) where n is in the number of operations that can be
exchanged. Coding complexity / or developer time that goes with N^2 is a
nightmare =) consider re-ordering sort-sheet vs. rename cell vs. insert
chart ;-> ...

        HTH,

                Michael.

--