Marc,

So far I've avoided commenting on your request for two main reasons: I
was obliged to retire last February so am no longer an "academic" as
such and also it was not clear what you were meaning.

Let me say that I never had problems with LibO (since the addition of
free-motion paths into Impress) for academic work. True, there are
differences in the way LibO and MS manage insertion of bibliography,
citations, references and so on but so what? You just get used to the
different way of working.

I had issues - probably my fault for not working it out - getting text
to flow round a graphic in any shape other than a rectangle. That can
be a real bother. I also don't like the way floating text boxes drift
around not just the page but the whole document when format changes
are made - or even worse when sections are moved!

I also never managed to put a working spreadsheet into a text
document, though it is something I use only rarely. Finally, the real
bugbear I have is that you can't "quick-roll" a database on the fly.
Either the database has to exist before you start (even if empty) or
you are tied into one highly restricted way of working.

I do hope this helps in some way.