On 11 January 2012 22:15, <v_2e@ukr.net> wrote:

 I like the floppy icon.

 "HDD" icon is being broadly used nowadays, but as somebody pointed in
this thread, not every user is familiar with computer inside, so
changing from one thing that they haven't seen to another one which
they also haven't seen doesn't make much sense.
 "Optical drive" icon is a bad variant because people usually do not
save the documents directly to the optical drive; instead they usually
tend to associate the "CD" icon with CD/DVD burning process.
 "USB" icon is also not a better solution, because not every user
knows what this sign means (although they probably can see it on many
different devices).

 In any case, the traditional "Foppy" icon just works. Why changing
something that works? The policy of making changes for their own sake
does not seem a good one to me. Just my thoughts.

 Regards,
   Vladimir

I will just repeat what I said near the start of this thread.

I use Ubuntu 11.10 and with its Humanity theme come a set of icons which
includes, for the Save icon,  a representation of  hard drive with a broad
green
down arrow on top of it.  Until this thread started, I did not even realise
that I
had an icon that was different from the traditional 'floppy disk'.  The
fact that it
is positioned where I would expect the Save icon to be (third from left
after the New
and Open icons) with a tool tip that says 'Save' was sufficient for me to
accept it
as the Save icon without any conscious effort.

I'm not making any proposal here for changing the Save icon.  I'm just
trying to
use my experience as evidence that we don't have to stick with an
antiquated
floppy disk icon just because its the thing that everyone knows is the Save
icon.

Tony