Hi Charles,

this is only on autosave and recover.

What I know from other platforms (Solaris/Linux) is that autosave saves into a hidden file in the background not destroying your last saved document. Just in case of an unforeseen shutdown of the system, a power outage or a crash of the whole soffice suite, X11 system or OS these hidden files remain in background. Restarting soffice next time finds all the leftover hidden files from last time and offers to recover them.
(Of course a regular save and exit from soffice deletes all hidden files.)
This is an important and yet simple funcionality, which should not be missed to implement. Why? Don't forget the multiuser systems, the world is not made of single user pc's. Imagine people working on a server system with multiple users (e.g. a MacServer)? As a system administrator you may want to shutdown the system for maintenance, or any other outage breaks the server connections and your boss or any other user is cutoff, went home, has gone for a coffee, or whatever you can imagine without logging out and saving his work properly. Ok, they need punishment, but it's easy to be polite to them. And you too will be very satisfied to know that there is an autosave feature which avoids people losing their work in any of these cases.
Please do not abandon the autosave and recovery feature from soffice.
If it's missing on some platforms it should be implemented asap in the way it is already present in last Staroffice or Openoffice releases.

I agree with most of the rest of your contribution.

Regards,

Karl