On 21/07/2011 14:23, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
I am of the opinion that good inter-operability with MSO products makes it easier to attract new users and that poor inter-operability with MSO products makes it more difficult.

Interestingly, I've just received an MSO .doc document. I opened it in MSO Word 2007 and did a "save as" odt format. I then opened that odt document in LO 3.3. The formatting was all over the shop and it was almost impossible to get it back to the original look. I then opened the .doc file directly in LO and it was almost identical to the original - needed almost NO tweaking at all. Is there a moral here? Have MS DELIBERATELY broken the odf support in Office 2007 so as to make it difficult to switch? (And don't forget the debacle with opening ODS documents in Excel - the formulae are ALL stripped out......)