On 23 June 2011 12:09, Goran Rakic <grakic@devbase.net> wrote:

У чет, 23. 06 2011. у 10:41 +0100, Ian Lynch пише:
All it needs to do is have a set of criteria or even a simple
contractual statement that the partner company providing services on
behalf of the community will uphold community principles and not bring
it into disrepute.

Why the such contract is required? If trademark policy allows you to do
the certification business, what is the point of the having a contract?

Because

1. It provides a formal relationship so that the partner company contributes
back to the project
2.  In the government and corporate worlds they don't understand the
informality of FOSS communities and might not commit without it.
3. Without it you run the risk of companies using the Trade Mark and
associating it with things the community would not want to be associated
with and no means of practical redress.

Of course you don't have to have a contract, we didn't plan on having one it
simply has advantages to both parties. Usually contracts do.

Are you suggesting there should be some exclusivity where only those who
are signing a contract with TDF can do the certification? I see this as
a real danger for the community.

No, it's just the same as here in the UK with the qualifications regulators.
If we meet the regulatory criteria then people have confidence in us if we
don't they won't. Any company willing to meet the criteria can be
accredited, it's not a matter of exclusion its about inclusion of those that
meet the criteria. Here are three simple examples of criteria a FOSS
community might want to apply.

1. The partner will give at least equal weight to supporting the
certification related to  free and open source products as they do to any
proprietary products.

2. The partner will make a reasonable contribution to the community
development effort in keeping with the benefit gained from association with
the community.

3. The partner will have sufficient quality assurance procedures and systems
in place so as to uphold the integrity of the community.

Of course you might disagree or want other criteria, these are just examples
to illustrate that the community can use these things to help further its
aims.

Your contribution in terms of learning materials and LibreOffice
promotion is valuable as such, I do not see why would you need further
endorsements.

Because the corporate world and some governments will expect it. This is as
much if not more for community benefit than it is for us. We don't have a
shortage of potential lines of business development. In fact the reverse is
true, we have too many possibilities and insufficient resources to commit to
all of them. We currently operate without any community endorsement and we
have only come back to the possibility because of the changes with
Sun/Oracle/LibO/OOo we really don't need it specifically. However, I know of
at least one large potential customer that would at least like it if not
require it. Its probably not worth our while entering complex negotiations
with such an organisation if it will fail because they require official
contracts that are impossible to get.

Kind regards,
Goran Rakic
deleted