On 24/06/2011 03:59, Marc Paré wrote:
Marc Paré wrote:
This thread is really about proposing, to the devs, the possibility of
creating a "LibreOffice Reader" similar to the "Adobe .pdf Reader".
This could be an idea to investigate, but I don't know how feasible it
is; actually there is (or used to be) a "read only" mode in
OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice, but if I recall correctly the
LibreOffice developers hated it.

if we were to promote a "quick and dirty"
"LibreOffice Reader", very much like the "Adobe Acrobat Reader", whose
sole purpose is to provide the ability to "read" ".odt" files, there
would be no need to carry .pdf formatted files.
This, however, won't work. Document fidelity is not the aim of ODT
files, while it is the aim of PDF files (example: font embedding, but
one could find many more). Replacing PDF by ODT is just not feasible due
to the formats themselves, not to the lack of an "ODF Reader".

Regards,
   Andrea.

The initial use of the "LibreOffice Reader" would be just a plain reader, the challenge after this would be to try to build as much document fidelity into it as possible. Again, with the hopes to rival .pdf fidelity. Maybe once all the devs put their heads together, they may come up with some way to do this. Let's not forget that the Djvu people accomplished this to some extent. If we were to work at it we could surprise everyone. There is always the possibility of submitting any changes to the ODF, that could enhance the formats, through the possible channels at the ISO and OASIS of which we are members.

Cheers

Marc

As Andrea states, the point about PDF is that it 'locks in' the format of a document, allowing it to be displayed or printed everywhere as the user intended. All other formats created by word processors, including MS Office and LibO, will display and print differently on different computers, depending for example on the specific printer a user has installed. I doubt that this is something that could readily be fixed by tweaking ODF, it's fundamental to the way all word processors work. I also believe that any diversion of scarce DEV effort would inevitably move the focus further away from fixing the many bugs still in LibO, which would be counter-productive.

-1

--
Mike Hall
www.onepoyle.net