Well, Charles, I also write fiction and publishers can be swine, I
admit - but I also write for journals and you should see editors! With
care, I do manage to use LibreOffice, and earlier OpenOffice,
throughout though I agree they don't all like it.

My attitude is that slowly we will get them to switch especially since
we can read and write Word formats. Not perfectly, but we can do it.
We also have a great range of add-ons that are perfect for the writer
to use (I am particularly fond of the Writer's Tools from LibreOffice
and Screenwright from the Open Office extensions at the moment).

You have, though, highlighted the one area where there are problems
because editors and proofreaders everywhere do like to use the
revisions tools - and we can't. Not so easily anyway. But how would
you change what we already have?