On 06/06/2011 06:32 PM, Robert Derman wrote:
Andy Brown wrote:

I seem to be really missing something in all this talk about the transfer of OOo.

1: What would TDF do with the code? At this point in time LibO is way ahead of OOo in features and code clean up, from the patches flying in the dev list.

2: What would TDF do with the OpenOffice.org name and trademarks?

3: Would they rename LibreOffice to OpenOffice.org? If so why, since LibreOffice has spread like it has?

4: Why is TDF trying so hard to block the proposal with ASF? I guess answers to the above will answer this one.

Thanks
Andy
I have been reading the discussion the last 3 days concerning Oracle donating the code and from what I understand the brand name. From what I understand the differences in licenses between The Document Foundation and Apache Software Foundation are such that code in OpenOffice can be used in LibreOffice, but code in LibreOffice can not be used in OpenOffice. From what I have read it seems like it will be some time before anything much comes of whatever happens at the Apache Software Foundation, at least as far as any product for end users. If this means that OOo will stagnate as far as improvements and new releases is concerned, and it seems like it will, then I suspect that most people will switch to LibreOffice and OpenOffice will become irrelevant. I might be wrong about this, but from all the good progress at TDF and LO it seems like OpenOffice may become irrelevant if it hasn't already, at least as far as end users are concerned. I have heard a lot of concern about duplication of efforts, but if I had to guess as to what will happen, I suspect that most volunteer developers/programmers will donate their efforts to TDF and LO rather than OO, or to both. I suspect that at some point within the next year the two software suites will diverge to the point where they can no longer share new code, and LO will need many of its own templates and extensions rather than being able to use those that were written for OO. Perhaps the single largest reason that Oracle didn't offer the code and brand to TDF was simple hurt feelings. Whatever, in the long run I suspect that it simply doesn't and won't matter. If anything I think that this will cause TDF to gain more developers and supporters and to prosper.

I am sorry for quoting ALL of the above, but I tend to agree with the post from Robert.....

What IS all of this discussion anyway? Why waste the time? Let LibreOffice forge ahead. If some of the others want to join, that's fine...if not, that's fine too. LibreOffice is already ahead and moving away from OpenOffice and is much better already. Let's just concentrate on the "product" that we have and develop/improve/release on schedule and not worry or waste so much time discussing all of this stuff. Oracle messed up and let's just leave it at that.

Bob

--

Operating System:  openSUSE Linux 11.4 64 bit
Linux Kernel: 2.6.37.6