There are *millions* of users that are still using WinXP and older
versions of MS Office (think schools, libraries, individuals, small
companies, government offices, etc). Granted the ideal situation would
be to have all of them install LO, but we know: 1) that just isn't going
to happen, 2) and even if they do install LO, they are not going to
purge their existing versions of MS Office... it just doesn't work that
way.

An ODF plugin (like the Sun ODF Plugin) could go a long way in gaining
trust for existing MS Office users, particularly if it does an LO
splashscreen when starting as the Sun one does. However, I also imagine
that creating/converting/maintaining such a program would be a huge
amount of effort/work. So I doubt that it will happen on LO's watch &
think it possible only with the backing of a major ($$$) corporation
such as IBM or similar.

I have the same feeling that there are millions of users of older MS Office
versions but I can't find any statistics to support this...

Actually it might be easier to simply send the ODT file and recommend users
to get Softmaker's free viewer (http://www.officeviewers.com/) which
supports doc, docx and odt (among others) and is just a 4Mb download.
Unfortunately to open a spreadsheet it would require an extra 4Mb and it
would support xls and xlsx but curiously not ods...

IBM already as a OpenOffice based free office suite named IBM Lotus Symphony
(which curiously has worse support for Lotus files than LibreOffice :lol:)

It would be fantastic if these two projects could co-operate (hint to TDF SC
members ;) )