On 13 May 2011 21:50, e-letter <inpost@gmail.com> wrote:

On 12 May 2011 17:55, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:

Le 2011-05-11 17:01, Samuel M a écrit :

 I believe, that The Document Foundation can employ Developers for
LibreOffice. I believe the community is able to get the money for that
on a
monthly base.

We saw that the community was able to rise 50.000€ in 8(!) days. It
will
be possible to get that money in a year for one full-time developer.
These two examples show that this works even over a longer period of
time
(note that these projects are much smaller than LibreOffice):
- Ardour (http://ardour.org): $4500 are raised every month to pay the
main developer
- Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com): $5500 were raised in April to pay
the main developer

Despite from having full-time developers, for volunteer developers it
would be nice to get money for fixing a specific bug / implementing a
feature. Ardour has such a system where you can donate for a specific
issue:
http://ardour.org/bugbounty
I think something like this would bring great benefit to LO, since
users
can show what they want to be fixed most and developers get some money
for
coding (or at their option donate it to TDF).

To be honest, if we could convince most school districts in any country
adopt the use of LibreOffice as their main suite, dropping MSO and
contributing a small percentage of their "per seat" cost savings, then
we
could see some distrcits paying to have accessibility issues worked on
or
some other aspect of LibreOffice that would be of interest to them.

In essence this was the idea behind setting up the INGOTs. Your idea is
simpler *if* you can get agreement with large centralised bureaucracies.
It's not easy, I have been trying for more than 10 years ;-)

Schools in the UK make individual decisions about the resources they use.
We
had to make INGOT certification wider than just OOo/LO simply because most
are entrenched in MSO. OTOH we know some have switched as a result of
learning more about FOSS through the certification process.  If we can
generate volume international take up, funding developers on the project
would be easy.

Whilst certification seems a good strategy, what about parental power
being exerted upon schools? One would imagine that if parents
(espcialy of low income families) were aware of free software, they
would implore schools to follow suit.

How do you get to those parents? Through the schools? ..Wait, isn't it the
schools that are not ready to change?

See the problem?

deleted

--