On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:06 PM, M Henri Day <mhenriday@gmail.com> wrote:
2011/5/4 Christian Lohmaier <lohmaier+ooofuture@googlemail.com>
[...]
I'm not quite sure I follow you here, Christian ; 089c is the hexadecimal
representation of the number represented by the decimal 2204

Yes, but the 2204 is not a decimal number. 2204 is already a
hexadecimal representation.

[...] so I don't understand where the «double conversion» comes in.

Your converting a "number" to hexadecimal that is already hexadecimal.
It is not two thousand two hundred and four, but 2*16³+2*16²+4 = 8708

As I understand it, 2204 is the decimal and 089c the hexadecimal
code for the glyph «∄»,

No. 2204 is the hexadecimal representation, and 089c is a completely
different character (one that is not assigned)

and the first page of Table de caractères Unicode (
http://unicode.coeurlumiere.com/) would seem to back me up.

No, on the contrary, when you look up 089c there (go to 0890 in the
leftmost row, then go to the c = 12th column (starting to count with
0, i.e. the columns with characters are
0890, 0891, … 0899, 089A, 089B, 089C (=2204), 089D, 089E, 089F

Nowhere in the table's body, you'll see a hex digit, none of the small
numbers above the characters contains an a, b, c, d, e or f, while the
"outer" numbering does - thus those little number cannot be
hexadecimal, but those are the decimal ones, they are increased by one
left to right, top to bottom.

go to
http://unicode.coeurlumiere.com/?n=8192 locate the 2200 in the
leftmost index column, go to the 4th (again starting with 0) column
and you are at "our" character U+2204, with decimal number 8708.

But perhaps this
is a misunderstanding on my part, and if so, I should be grateful if you
would disabuse me....

Hope that helps.

ciao
Christian