On 31/03/2011 05:48, aqualung wrote:
Got a couple of questions.

(1) I heard that OpenOffice is restricted from re-using code from
LibreOffice because Oracle insists on broader licenses than LO developers
are willing to give, but the reverse is not true. So, from this aspect LO
can only get stronger while OOo stagnates. Is this accurate?

As I understand it, this is more or less true though it is mainly due
to copyright assignments that Oracle insist on but that LibreOffice
will not grant.

(2) According to what I've read so far, most of the work to create and
maintain OpenOffice was done by a team of developers originally working for
StarOffice, later bought by Sun, in turn bought by Oracle. Outside
volunteers working without pay contributed only a small portion of the code.

This is certainly true, but let me say right now that it was
definitely the right way to work! I suggested and to some extent drove
a change to Impress to allow free-motion movement paths for objects.
Sun - this was before the Oracle takeover - were quite happy to let me
see code and to suggest changes and even where in the code they might
be made. But to be honest, the code was such a tangled and complex
mess that I would have needed months of work just going through code
before I even tried to change a single command.

I am slightly concerned that, even now, there is a damn good chance
the code for LibreOffice is still much the same tangled (and
uncommented) mess.