I suppose what I was thinking would be usefull was to have a directory within the odt file called fonts. LO would check here first for fonts called in the document. I could copy my custom TT or type 1 fonts here thereby making my document portable. This seems relatively simple. More work is involved if a font management tool is desired (i.e. a panel listing fonts used in the document and tick box for "Save with Document").

In regards the licensing issue, what is the difference between emailing a document (with the font stored within) and emailing the document + the font file. In both cases you have or have not broken the license (depending on the conditions)

This could even promote the use of free fonts, when you can't even transfer a document in Arial between Linux and Mac without loss of formatting it could be a big plus to be the only suite to be able to offer true document portability. I could use Andale Sans or Albany AMT and not have to worry about how it would format on Windows. I would not be encouraged to copy licensed fonts from my windows machine to my linux/mac machines to be certain documents created in linux/mac formatted correctly on windows

steve