Hi Henri,

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:18 AM, M Henri Day <mhenriday@gmail.com> wrote:
2011/2/21 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>
On 02/20/2011 07:39 AM, M Henri Day wrote:
The thing that surprised me with respect
to Christian's advice above to set SCIM as my «global default» was that I
thought I had already  done so ; i e, I had edited my profile under /etc by
adding the following :
# SCIM
export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
export XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
scim -d

The profile is only used for interactive/login shells, i.e. when you
open a terminal and launch LO/OOo from there it is applied, but when
running it from the menu it is not used at all.

What next ?...

As mentioned earlier: Modify the launchers (the different soffice
scripts you already cited - those are shell scripts that setup some
environment variables and then launch the binary)

Or add it to your display-manager's set of default environment variables.

ciao
Christian