On 09/02/2011 19:14, Cor Nouws wrote:
Hi Alan,

Alan Reeve wrote (09-02-11 15:47)

Thanks for your response. So far as I can see, the problem does not lie
in Base but within the Text Document (Writer) modules. The address line
suppression should form part of the "Print from Base" window in Text
Document after you have inserted fields from your database.

Though (if I see it correct) not your initial question, I give some related info. You probably are aware that it is possible to put a conditional Hidden paragraph field in the paragraphs?
Not so convenient, I agree, but it can be done.

Note: when inserting such a field, be sure that the various mail merge fields are in a separate paragraph. When fields are inserted via the dialog for Labels, they are at separate lines, but in one paragraph. You have to correct that in the document.

Also: looking at the window Fields, tab Database, there is a field Condition left at the bottom. I can be used when entering a Next record field, however not with a Mail merge field. That looks as a 'relatively easy' way for such an enhancement.

HTH,
regards,
Cor

My reason for raising this subject is because, surely, we cannot expect typical office people who are not very conversant with computers to try to set up Conditional statements. The technique needed is quite abstruse and it is totally unforgiving and I am afraid that only a person with a reasonable degree of computer knowledge will attempt it..

I understand how to do it and do not personally have a problem with suppressing blank address lines, apart from extra complexity, but you must agree that many people are transferring to Libre Office from M$ Word, where the ability to suppress blank lines by checking a tick box has been available for some years.

Come on people, surely somebody has the skills to run with this hare! Or is it not challenging enough?

Alan