On Feb 8, 2011, at 1:00 PM, Ian Lynch wrote:

In the UK there will be no tax to pay if you don't make a profit. Collect
the money get an invoice from another entity to the full value of that money
and then transfer it and that's it. The only possible problem is VAT. If
both companies are registered for VAT in Europe, again no problem but there
is a bit of bureaucracy involved with VAT registration. Not necessary in the
UK if you turnover less than around 100,000 Euro. Probably spreading any
financial transaction across two financial years would obviate the need for
VAT registration - again, nothing deceptive simply standard accounting
practice.

My suggestion was to use a personal account to collect and then disburse the income, which would
probably trigger income tax, as BRM mentioned in his response. (I don't know with any certainty,
though.)

Another platform like Kickstarter is http://www.indiegogo.com/

According to their site, you can "Start your campaign from any country in the world as long as you
have a valid bank account."

It also lets you collect pledged funds even if you don't meet your overall goal, but it charges
fees of 4 or 9% (the higher fee if you don't meet your full goal, the lower fee if you do). Not
sure what Kickstarter's fee structure is to compare.

-Ben