On 01/23/2011 08:06 PM, Carlo Strata wrote:
Il 19/01/2011 11:56, Rene Engelhard ha scritto:
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:49:51PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
and, possibly, Debian might need to ship an "acceptably free" version
by their own standards if there were any doubt as to the appropriate
freeness of the LibreOffice code by the standards of the particular
distribution involved.

yep.

In addition, Debian may need to patch heavily to meet the requirements
of some of the disparate hardware architectures, for example.

Well, not that heavily, and even if so I'd immediately give that back
anyways.

I think this is the key!!! To give patch immediately (!) back to TDF and explain that in the, e.g., proposed distro patch wiki.

I also think that install Libò from one distro's repository is very useful to maintain LibreOffice updated as well as the entire whole system software and being able to install only a file if this is the need instead of reinstall/update all the stuff (the whole "vanilla" Libò tar.gz)!!!

Isn't it?

But I think TDF could also be the place in which all distros together discuss about new functionality before (!) implement it.

TDF has been made to collect people ideas, discussions, software bugs and not only to serve people code. We are a bowl, we live in a XXI century very interesting bowl. We must understand this... Are we?

We are here to avoid branches, to merge previously existing projects (Go-OO, NeoOffice, BrOffice, OOo4Kids, ...) in one big, open and with specific sectors (but single) Project!

We are here to avoid wasting human efforts.

We are here...! ;-)

Grüße/Regards,

René

Have a nice evening,

Carlo

I agree with you here on gathering all the patches from the various distros into one location, that way they will already come from the upstream source, which would mean less work for the distros themselves. One problem I see though is if you have something lets say that is Debian specific how can we ensure that it wouldn't break something that Suse would do the software before releasing it on their distro.