Hi Animesh,

I'm all for a decent discussion on the UI, and appreciate the comment on the side-bar.
Could the current top-bar with icons etc be made moveable (just as the Win 95 start bar
was, when I moved to the side it by accident and couldn't get it back to the bottom.... ah,
memories...)

However, we need to avoid Microsoft's mistake of forcing their Ribbon on people, without
letting them have a 'Classic' interface.  (1) the Ribbon lacks consistency; (2) Office 2007
had 60% global market share in summer 2010 - a failure by Microsoft's standards.  Office
2003 had 20% - many of whom were Ribbon refusenicks.  The other 20% was a steadily
growing OOo.

Granted, the current LibO/OOo interface looks dated, but people know their way round it - at
least the know how to find the things they use.  Some things are far too clumsy (e.g. mail-
merging).  A sudden change would drive people (well, me) back over to OOo.

Let's reach a proper concensus.

Now that most screens are wide screen
A side bar based UI is the best usage of space.

Fair point - but give users the option.

Here is the link.

http://pauloup.deviantart.com/gallery/28216273#/d37dxkj

Even IBM Symphony's UI are very good.

Symphony can trace its roots to WordPro, which I used a lot.  Some reasonable thought
went into it - sadly, WP and its accompanying office package faded away as MSO's
dominance grew.  Pity - it was a great piece of software.

zf