Benjamin Horst wrote (14-12-10 16:21)

I agree with you about the possible negative connotations of the term
"manager," but I think it's just a terminology problem. You could
think of the role as "Community Facilitator" or even "host" if you
prefer. The actual tasks inherent to the role are similar to the host
of a party--introducing people to others with similar interests,
helping to coordinate times, places and necessities, etc.

In practice, it's hugely helpful to have someone walking around to
make sure that good ideas don't get lost and plans receive
encouragement and assistance until they are completed. They can also
play the role of matchmaker, to help find volunteers for important
initiatives that don't have enough helpers.

I also understand the desire to form a clean break from the past and
to build our own thing this time. I think it's the right approach,
but I don't think it means we can eliminate the role of the community
manager, though renaming it to better suit our project's culture
certainly makes sense.

+1
Very well said, IMO.
A good manager serves the community. A manager is not a commander.
Being a good manager is a time-consuming task. It involves knowing what is going on, understanding the 'how-to's' of many community members, and finding a balance between letting flow, and linking actively, proposing, intervening etc. I am sure our bye-laws provide us with some officers, of which I expect one to do this job.

Regards,
Cor