Hi everyone,

2010/12/14 Sigrid Carrera <sigrid.carrera@googlemail.com>

Hi Johannes,

2010/12/14 Johannes A. Bodwing <jobod@arcor.de>:
Hello Benjamin,

Jono has written a book called "The Art of Community," which describes
his
approach. It's available to purchase or download under a CC license from
his
site: http://www.artofcommunityonline.org/get/

I've downloaded the book and started reading. It is a pleasant read.

[...]

That's a good thing. And if he helps us - OK.
On the other side: We need just our brain to find the right solutions.
We have goals. That leads to: What is to do, to make this goals real, in
global dimension?
We build a worldwide community. - That leads to: How can it realy work
with
good results?
And basically: What is to do, to find an optimal structure for all of
this?
And so on.

We need a kind of selforganizing structure that leads to what we want.
Even
in a phase when communication breaks.
That's the problem of every group that is to great to reach the members
by
speaking in front of them.
And that's a point, OOo did not understand.

Therefore, we will not come very far if we copy OOo.

I agree with what you said, Johannes, but why should we invent the
wheel ourselves again? Let's check what's in the book that Ben
mentioned, learn from the mistakes, that Jono made himself and avoid
all the trouble.

For all those who don't know Jono Bacaon, he is the Community Manager
for Ubuntu. So I would think, that he has some experience in building
a worldwide community.

I will download the book. This being said I'd like to share some thoughts
about the notion of Community Management. Going out of OpenOffice.org
community, I'm not the only one who feels an intense need for a community
that seizes its own destiny and fulfills it. What this means, beyond the
nice words, is that I will not be -will never be - a community manager and
don't wish one for our community. I don't really like the notion of managing
a community in the context of FOSS. <Barack Obama> you can certainly
organize a community </Barack Obabma> but I believe that it's important that
contributors see their contributions valued and that they feel a sense of
ownership. Beyond that point, proper governance make the sauce. What's
important is to have a community of contributors that behave in an adult
way; and community management include the notion of "management", or rather,
the notion of management from the outside. I don't like that. Inside OOo, if
you remember, we had several layers of community management. We know how it
ended.

My two eurocents (sorry if that sounds a bit grumpy),

Charles.

Sigrid